- Over 300,000 people 16+ play basketball at least twice a month
- 1 in 4 teenagers have played basketball at least once a month in the last year
- 12% of these players are in NS-SEC 6-8, meaning that they are from less wealthy backgrounds. This is high compared to many other sports – basketball reaches people from all types of background.
- 1 in 6 basketball participants are female – we are working to get more women and girls involved in basketball to make this percentage even higher!
Basketball England members
- Basketball England has over 33,000 members playing in over 700 teams across local and national leagues
- 10,000 Basketball England members are under 16
- 6,600 of our members are female
In addition to our playing members…
- We have 2300 active member coaches
- We have 2200 active member officials
Sources: Active Lives Survey 2015-16: Year 1 Report – Sport England, 2017; Membership data 2016-17 season – Basketball England, 2017; Basketball England officials’ database – 2017. For further information on our data, please contact Laura Holloway.